Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have two rural locations on their itinerary for October – Fraser Island K’gari and Dubbo.
The island is in our backyard – literally 15 minutes from where we live at Rainbow Beach, we can be on the barge.
It is an are we are currently auditing to include more campsites accessible to RVs, ready for CAMPS 10.
Although I can’t see Harry and Meghan stopping the night at Waddi Point (even though I am sure they would love it), you can bet that that Fraser will be humming with extra campers that weekend.
Conveniently, Monday, October 22 co-incides with a pupil free day in Queensland – and judging from comments on social media, I’m sure a long weekend will be on the cards for many families.
Home of the Butchulla people, the couple are visiting as part of a dedication to the Queen’s Commonwealth Canopy initiative to preserve forests.
This World Heritage Area is the largest sand island in the world. Must dos on any visit is to play in Eli Creek, see a dingo, view the Maheno Wreck, swim at Lake McKenzie and marvel at Central Station – it still amazes me that the island’s beautiful lush rainforest is based on a bed of sand.
But if you have more time, there are so many more bush walks, lakes and sand blows to explore.
The official royal visit to Australia, Fiji, the Kingdom of Tonga, and New Zealand. Here’s the tour outline in case you are in Dubbo or nearby any of these locations:
- Tuesday 16th October: Sydney, Australia
- Wednesday 17th October: Dubbo, Australia
- Thursday 18th October: Melbourne, Australia
- Friday 19th October: Sydney, Australia
- Saturday 20th October: Sydney, Australia
- Sunday 21st October: Sydney, Australia
- Monday 22nd October: Fraser Island, Australia
- Tuesday 23rd October: Suva, Fiji
- Wednesday 24th October: Suva, Fiji
- Thursday 25th October: Nadi, Fiji and Nuku’alofa, Tonga
- Friday 26th October: Nuku’alofa, Tonga and Sydney, Australia
- Saturday 27th October: Sydney, Australia
- Sunday 28th October: Wellington, New Zealand
- Monday 29th October: Wellington and Abel Tasman, New Zealand
- Tuesday 30th October: Auckland, New Zealand
- Wednesday 31st October: Rotorua, New Zealand
Find out more about budget and free camping sites, or caravan parks throughout Australia – take advantage of our 15% discount by entering the following coupon at the checkout: directcaw9.