We stopped at Bundarra, a lovely town between Armidale and Bingara, south of Inverell and north of Uralla in the New England region of New South Wales.
It’s always a bonus when a town offers not just one but two budget camping options – and your can bring your furry friend to both:
Bundarra Lions Park
We were very impressed with this pretty park, right on the banks of the Gwydir River. The large quiet rest area has accessible toilets, firepits, picnic tables, shade and views. It is pet friendly. Please make sure you leave a donation to enable the upkeep.
You’ll find the camp south of town, just 200 m off Thunderbolt Highway beside Emu Bridge.
Bundarra Community Caravan Park
With a playground and picnic area next door, the local caravan park has showers, toilets, laundry, BBQs, shade, water, power and shade. You’ll find it conveniently near the heritage listed Commercial Hotel (also visited by Captain Thunderbolt). Pets allowed (under control) and it is budget priced.
Things to do and see
- Interest historic buildings – check out the police station, courthouse
- Gallery of Glass – the bottle museum in a former church
- Copeton Dam – where you can also camp, 43 km away
- Birdwatch – including the Regent Honeyeater, an endangered species
- Fish for cod, catfish, redfin, yellow belly, silver perch and bass
- Spot a platypus near sunrise and sunset!
- Explore more of Thunderbolts Way – Gloucester to Walcha. Learn about bushranger Frederick Ward, alias Captain Thunderbolt, at McCrossin’s Mill Museum in Uralla
Check it out in the CAMPS AUSTRALIA WIDE App.
Order before 30 April, 2023 and receive 15% off our top selling travel guides.
Choose from: Camps 12 B4, Camps 12 A4 or CampsPendium.
Add the code SALE23 into the checkout and SAVE today!
Download the Camps App for iPhone/iPad or Android