Letty Casey contributed this recipe to the Camps Australia Wide Community Cookbook. She says, “it is such an easy, mess-free cake to make and so versatile and very fulfilling”.
With no eggs, and no butter – it could get you through some “Mother Hubbard” moments when travelling remotely. Best eaten on the day it is made, we used self raising flour. Ours soon disappeared!
- 1 cup flour (plain or self-raising)
- 1 cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1 cup sugar (white, raw or brown)
- 1 cup milk ( or replace it with ¼ cup powdered milk and ¾ cup water)
- Vanilla essence as desired
- Heat oven up to 180 degrees.
- Prepare cake tin (square or round).
- Mix all ingredients.
- Put in oven for 45 minutes, check and make sure skewer comes out dry.
- Can be iced if so desired.