When you are driving the Flinders Highway, it can be a long time between stops!
As you travel between Julia Creek and Richmond, there is an interesting spot to turn off to. When we pulled in in winter 2020, Corella Creek Country Farmstay and cafe had been hard hit by floods and Covid closures.
Since then, owner Georgi has made lots of headway. The small bush camping ground also has an additional self contained studio and two budget rooms, hot tub and deck. They pride themselves on recycling – as it is a long way from Bunnings out here!
Just the isolation is overwhelming. All that is left of the remote town of Nelia, is the world’s largest brolga sculptures, an active QCWA branch that is a central meeting place for families living in the district – and this quirky and rustic farm stay.
Other historical points of interest include remnants of a 100+ year old Post Office building, an abandoned racecourse and an artesian bore originally sunk to service passing steam trains.
It is pet friendly – check with Georgi when you book – and it is definitely a stay for animal lovers!
Here’s what else there is to see and do whilst you’re there:
• Let Georgi cook for you and have dinner on the deck experience
• Art Gallery and gift-shop area are available onsite during the April to October
• Try out the thermal artesian baths in the paddock and high pressure shower – free for campers.
• Famous 3.5 metre vintage metal Brolga sculptures by Queensland artist Sue Tilley
• Seasonal creek and river visits with red claw fishing
• Meet and greet the goat herd and Miss Milly the cow
• Join Miss Milly at the nightly campfire
• Birdwatching at the small wetland
• Check out iconic ‘Must do” pubs: Walkabout Hotel, McKinlay
and the Blue Heeler at Kynuna
Located in the McKinlay Shire, the farmstay camping area and cafe is just 2 km north of the Flinders Highway. Meals can be provided through their cafe facilities as well as snack foods, drinks and emergency supplies.
Look out for their alternative retail ideas. They hope to include a range of herbs and veggies and also some preserves and baked goods in the future!
Book ahead, tell Georgi that CAMPS Australia Wide sent you, and she’ll have a surprise for you! Find this site in your CAMPS AUSTRALIA WIDE App!
If you would like order your own CAMPS Pendium, here is a special coupon code for you:
…and you’ll receive $20 off! Add the code into the checkout!