Penguin is west of Ulverstone and Devonport, a gorgeous place to visit with two free and one donation campsite plus a caravan park. All camps are beachfront to the Bass Strait with sensational views!
Just the drive in and around Penguin is a tourist must-do! As are the hinterland drives.
This part of the north west coast of Tasmania has an unusual feature – a railway line that runs next to the sea! And right past some of those freedom camps. There is also a miniature railway.
Spend some time exploring Penguin – we snapped a photo with the big penguin and travellers are sure to love the book exchange. You’ll find this sign next to the big penguin.
The Penguin area was first settled in 1861 by Edward Joseph Beecraft.
Penguin took its name from the Mary Penguin and was so named by Ronald C. Gunn, a distinguished botanist of the era. The municipality was established in 1908. The fibre cement penguin nearby was erected to celebrate the centenary of the proclamation of the penguin township on the 25th October, 1975.
As well as the big penguin, we loved the penguin bollards,
A must for us was to not just dip our toe in the Bass Strait – but run right in! It’s a bit chillier than Queensland – but very refreshing! (It was still summer when we toured Tassie.)
More to do?
- mountain bike trails and bushwalks in the Dial Range
- the start of the Penguin to Cradle walking trail
- shops, cafes and bakery
- Tasmania’s largest undercover market each Sunday – we missed it so we’ll have to return!
Find all these sites and more nearby in the CAMPS guide books, new CAMPS Pendium boxed set and CAMPS AUSTRALIA WIDE App.
Score 15% off Camps 12 B4 (Easy to Read with Photos) by adding in the below code at checkout.
Add the code EXPLOREAUS into the checkout and SAVE today!