Congratulations to Elli and Jake, new owners of Darke Peak Hotel on the Eyre Peninsula, South Australia.
Although the couple have spent the last seven years in Melbourne, Elli grew up in the town and has a lovely connection to the pub. “There are no shops in town, so I spent a lot of time at the pub. My first job was washing dishes and babysitting the kids here, it was like a home to me.”
They have returned from the city with their three kids, and bring a family atmosphere and said Elli, “the high standard of food that customers are used to.” Their first Easter included a lovely egg hunt and family event – and you can expect yummy Snitty Wednesdays.
Camping at the pub is pet friendly, suitable for tents through to caravans and motorhomes – and there is a firepit. Accommodation in the pub is also available.
Dian Maney from our Facebook group, I Love Camping Australia Wide had a great time here last Melbourne Cup, with the previous owners.
She said, “Camping out the back $15 for power and water, but free if you patronize the pub. Lovely sites and great country pub.”
“Annie the publican’s wife is a chef and cooks beautiful homemade food. We had two nights, including Melbourne Cup – warm and friendly locals and had a ball.”
We look forward to sampling some of Elli’s menu, especially the mixed grill!
Elli’s tips for see and do
- Scenic drive – visit Federation Hill and Lookout and Darkes Grave
- Carappe Hill is the tallest point above sea level on Eyre Peninsula. The return walk is about two hours – you write your name and pop in a mailbox up there! Views include Cleve, Arno Bay and Darke Peak.
- Range Hill – you can see it and the Darke Peak Range from the pub and you can 4WD across the top.
- Caralue Bluff Conservation Park- Check out the lookout!
- Heritage – lots of interesting history about the first settlers including explorer John Charles Darke’s grave and monument, who the town and ranges were named for.
Go and say hello to the new owners! Find it in the CAMPS App and guides.
If you would like order your own CAMPS Pendium, here is a special coupon code for you:
…and you’ll receive $20 off! Add the code into the checkout!